Monday, February 9, 2015

15 weeks to Sugarloaf

Plan: 50-55 miles, 6 days of running, option for 7, 3 key workouts: track, hills, long run. 
Actual: 50.9 miles @ a total pace of 7:38.

Links to Key workouts:  

Tuesday track - 3200 in 13:00, 4 mins rest, 8x400 in 1:35 with 15 seconds rest
Thurdsay hills...SKIPPED; 
 Sunday 15 with the last 4 progressive 7:20 down to 7:00

First off, when I read this years from now, all I'll need to remember is that this is the month I saw the most snow I have ever seen.  As I'm typing this (Monday night) we're in the middle of our 4th storm in 2 weeks, and have now exceeded 5 feet of snow.  There are no sidewalks.  There are no bike baths.  There are no shoulders to run in.  My attempt at this hill session: Friday hills: 5x (30 seconds up, 45 down recovery, 60 seconds up, 90 down, 90 up, 2 mins down recovery actually was attempted Thursday evening on Adams street in Milton...one trip up and I bagged it.  That still just meant I had only one rest day last week, it just meant I replaced a 5 mile hill workout with an easy day.

So for the last 2 weeks, I run at the Reggie Lewis Track or on either the treadmill at work or at the YMCA, and then I've done my long runs with my FHR friends early on Saturday AMs from Jamaica Plain...we run in the streets and haven't had too many issues with cars...just a few jerks here and there.  But since the big blizzard two weeks ago (it feels like a month) I've run outside just 3 times...and the first time I hurt my ankle.  The other two trips out have been for the long runs.  So, I feel like I'm cheating things a bit with all the treadmill running. 

The long runs the last two weeks 14 and 15 miles, both in the low 7:20 range have been a good test for me.  Two weeks ago, I had great energy and rolled through the first 10 miles before doing the hard/easy 2 min workout, which went fairly well.  This week we did two 5 mile loops in JP, and then did our progressive run on a flatter section.  It didn't end up as a true progression run, a hill came into play and my pace fell way below my expectations (down to 7:45.)

The other issue on the last two long runs has been my decision to forgo carrying fuel with me.  No fuel, no water.  And this past week, I paid for it.  Thankfully, a friend I was running with bailed me out with an extra PowerGel (also, he had a PowerGel that basically just tasted like chocolate frosting.  I liked that one.) So, I took fuel at around mile 12 or 13 (without any water) and I don't think it really kicked in until the last mile, but I was happy with the pace of that last mile (which was also downhill.)

Anyway, I'm nit-picking a bit...it was a strong 15 mile long run.  At some point in that training run, I had a 1:36 half marathon time, which a year ago was my 1/2 PR.    I also hit 51 miles this week, in terrible weather, and one of my stronger paces.   IF I had done the hill workout, I would have really been in rough shape for the long run though, so I'm a bit torn between whether or not it was good that I replaced the hill workout with the easy day. 

Looking ahead to week 3 of the 16 week plan...in the words of Coach Alan:

Monday easy 5 recovery, 5x15 second acceleration "strides" in the last mile Tuesday track 8x1000 w/ 400 jog rest in 2:30, first 4 in 3:52, last 4 in 3:48 Wednesday 8@7:40 progressive to 7:10 Thursday easy recovery 5-6, 7:45 pace, 5 strides in last mile Friday track 2000M in 7:42, 4min rest, 6x400 in 85 with 2:00 rest, 6x200 in 37-38 with 1:30 rest. Saturday long? 16@7:30 average Sunday easy 4-5 recovery
Total 58, no days off this week, easy recovery week next week


I'm confident about the track work, especially if I have company at the trackI also don't see the 8@7:40 as a problem, since it will be on a treadmill.  The long run will be a challenge if it is my 3rd workout of the week.  

58 miles will be the second most miles I've ever run in a week behind the 64 I ran peak week for Philly.


No comments:

Post a Comment